Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Tray Three & Attachments

I have been wearing tray set #3 for a little over a week. I also got my attachments put on yesterday. Getting accustomed to the trays with the bumps for the attachments took a few days. I didnt notice them on the bottom tray, however I did on the top.

It is true what everyone tells you about putting in/taking out aligners after attachments are placed - it's hard! My ortho gave me a very small crochet hook to assist in taking out the aligners. This has proven invaluable for the top aligner. I absolutely can't get the top one off without using it in a few spots. The bottom aligner is somewhat forgiving. I am able to remove it with just my finger nails, and really no more trouble than before I had the attachments.

Eating with the attachments on is taking some adjustment. Because of my overbit, my upper teeth hit the bottom attachments if I'm not mindful of how much pressure I use when chewing. This has gotten better today, but I still have to mentally tell myself to chew slower and more gentle.

The ortho gave me four more sets of trays at yesterday's appointment. He commented that I was right on track with my treatment, and could tell I am religious about wearing my aligners. I will admit I hate being on a "time table" when eating, but I do try and keep the out of mouth time to 2 hours or less per day.  Oh, I also had IPR (space added between teeth) done yesterday which was totally painless I am happy to say! I thought at minimum it would give me a "nails on a chalkboard" feeling, but it was no big deal!

I wanted to add that I have also broken the rules and had pop while wearing the aligners - red pop. No staining of my aligners at all. I did rinse my mouth with water in between each few drinks. When I had fulfilled my pop craving, I took out the aligners and again rinsed both my teeth and the trays very well with water until I could brush. I'll find out if this method was smart or not when I go to my next cleaning in December. I'll update in a future post as to if I ended up with cavities.

Until set #4. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment