Saturday, August 7, 2010

Day Five

I thought I better update this as it has now been five days since I started the my invisalign treatment.

So far the treatment is going well, and I am getting accustomed to the aligners being in my mouth. I typically wear them for 22 hours a day. This is an hour less my orthodontist's recommendation of 23. Eating three times a day with brushing and flossing is nearly impossible for me to do while complying with the 23 hour guideline. Having researched the amount of time others wear their aligners, I am confident I will be ok at 22 hours per day.

In my day one update, I noted tightness while wearing, and some pain when removing the lower tray. There is still some tightness when I first reinsert them after eating, however it goes away in a couple of minutes. Also, I have learned how to remove the lower tray so that is does not cause pain. The bottom tray is harder for me to get out since I have crowding, but the upper tray pops out really easy.  While eating I have some very mild discomfort for a few minutes, but it too quickly subsides.

I still have a little trouble with the upper tray not fitting quite right on one of the back molars. I can feel that side of the tray flex a little if I bite down on my back teeth. I am going to call my ortho on Monday and see if I should be concerned. It doesn't so much bother my mouth, but I am concerned it might not be moving that tooth like it needs to. I'll update on this once I find out.

There isn't much else to write about. I will say that I noticed the tip of my tongue starting to get pretty sore two days ago. It feels similar to when your tongue gets burnt eating hot food. My trays  are perfectly smooth, but I can feel the slight edge where the upper tray meets my gum. I am sure the soreness is from my tongue rubbing this edge over and over when speaking. I think it will just take time to adjust, and will go away without problem.  

Overall I forget that I have them. The toughest part so far has been the adjustment to not snacking or drinking soda with the aligners. Right now I am dying for a can of Coke, but looking at the stopwatch, I only have 40 minutes left of aligner-free time today. I will have to wait to enjoy the can of Coke with my dinner!

2 comments:

  1. Hi. I am just about to start treatment :) I am going to view my clincheck in less than 2 hours! I can't wait!
    Just wanted to say I look foward to following your blog as you aren't much ahead of me in your treatment.
    Did you speak to your ortho about the problem you are having? I hope it is sorted?
    I have just started a blog yesterday: http://all-thanks-to-baby.blogspot.com

    It's not much to look at yet though lol.
    Do you have any before photos?
    Hope your treatment is going ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for following along with my blog! I have not yet addressed the concern with my upper tray with the ortho's office. I actually dont notice it much now. I will be changing to tray two on Tuesday, and will see how that one fits. I hope you liked your Clincheck. Its fun to see how your teeth will look at the end of this "lifestyle" change! As for photos, I keep thinking I should post some. I will try and do that soon! Congrats on starting your treatment. I was so excited for the first day of treatment! I will follow along with your blog as well. Its nice to hear how other people are doing with the treatment. Best of luck as you start down your invisalign road!

    ReplyDelete