Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Day One Invisalign

Today I received the first trays for my upper and lower teeth. The initial fitting wasn't what I expected. I think it was better than what I had imagined. I will have 25 upper and 27 lower total trays. The treatment time is right on with what my orthodontist had predicted during my consultation, 16 months.

As of writing this, I have had the trays on for just over seven hours. There is certainly tightness, but no pain. Oddly, the tightness is somewhat comforting, but still distracting for the time being. I have removed them twice. Once right after I got done at the orthodontist, and once before eating dinner. Both times no pain involved with the top tray removal. This was not the case with the lower tray however. There was some mild to moderate pain with the lower front teeth during and immediately after removal. I though eating would be difficult, however I had very little soreness after a few minutes of the trays being out. Reinserting the lower trays was also a little painful, but it passed after about a minute. 

I am apprehensive about what the removal will feel like in the morning after having wore the aligners all night. Hopefully it will continue to be just brief discomfort and not agonizing pain.

The only real problem to report so far is the upper tray is not fitting as well on one of my back molars. There seems to be a gap between the tray and my gum. This is causing my tongue to rub the edge of the tray while talking and swallowing. My orthodontist stated it appears to be fitting normally, and may take a day or so to properly seat. I am hoping this happens sooner than later.

I dont think I have much else to report on the experience. If anyone has any questions, please ask!!

2 comments:

  1. Removal in the morning will be easier after the aligners adjust to your teeth for the whole night. It helps if you swish some warm water around the aligners first before removal.

    New trays are always tight so it's easier if you switch trays at night after dinner so they have a chance to "settle" in while you sleep.

    If you have pain removing the aligners, it's probably because of the way you remove them. Try lifting them out gently from the back & when you get to the front, use your thumb & index fingers to hold the tray with a little bit of pressure ...i.e. don't just yank them out or pull them hard off your teeth.

    When you're inserting them, start at the front & push the teeth in a little while inserting the back. It's tough to explain ... but generally, don't use too much force against your teeth or they'll hurt.

    I find the Outie Tool (from outietool.com) quite useful in helping to lift the lower tray out.

    I have a gap between the aligner and the gum at my upper right molar too... doesn't bother me at all. But if the edge rubs against your tongue, then use a nail file to file down the raised or rough edges.

    Good luck with your treatment!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the helpful hints Robin, it is appreciated! Today was easier removing the trays so I was happy about that!

    ReplyDelete